Baked Ricotta Cheesecake
Pre-heat your oven to about 180°C (160°C if Fan-forced.)
- 1.5kg Ricotta Cheese
- 6 Egg Whites - lightly whisked (use whole eggs if you prefer)
- 1.5 cups Castor Sugar (use less if you want or sub out half to Stevia, this was quite sweet and cheesecakey)
- Fine Zest of one lemon
- Juice of Half a lemon - about 30mls I guess
- 2 tspn Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup of Corn Flour (cornstarch)
- Prepared Biscuit base (I used 1 packet of Gluten Free plain biscuits crushed with 40gms of Unsalted butter pressed into a springform pan)
Prepare your spring form pan and base, wrap foil around the bottom to prevent any leakage.
In a food processor or bowl with a hand held blender, add the Cheese process until smooth, add sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, Corn Flour, Vanilla extract and process until smooth.
Add the eggs or egg whites and process briefly until well incorporated (don't over beat the mix once the eggs are in there as it can contribute to cracks in the finished product.)
Pour the cheesecake mixture into the prepared spring form pan and bake for about an hour and a half or until the top is golden and there is still some wiggle but not liquid in the centre of the cheesecake.
Turn off oven, and prop the door open, leave to cool for several hours, then transfer to the fridge to completely chill over night.
Serve with fresh or de-frosted frozen raspberries and a light snow of icing sugar.
mmmm YUM Cheesecake!
You can make this very light in calories by substituting the sugar for low cal sugar substitute and the butter with plain water in the low cal biscuit base (or omit the base completely just make sure you seal the bottom of your pan really really well with foil to avoid it all running out into the oven!!!) You can also make it Gluten free by ensuring the biscuit base is GF, and using GF pure Icing sugar when serving.
Diet dessert, light cheesecake, gluten free cheesecake, healthy dessert.