A very simple but scrumptious treat.
170 g self raising flour
60 g caster sugar
110 g unsalted butter
Additional caster sugar for dusting
1. Whisk butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until it's smooth and it no longer feels "gritty"
2. Sift flour into the butter mix.
3. Press mixture into a loose bottomed rectangular tart pan which had been lubricated well.
4. Impress the surface all over with a fork
5. Cook in an oven heated to 180C (160C fan) for 15-20 minutes. Avoid letting the shortbread get too brown.
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with the extra caster sugar
7. Leave on the swiss-roll tray to cool for 5 minutes and then carefully arrange on a cooling rack.
8. The shortbread will harden as it cools.