2 firm apples - Granny Smiths
25 g sultanas
50 g brown sugar or honey
250 g approx suet crust - (recipe in Yum's Recipe Book)
1 egg beaten
milk - for mixing with egg for brushing pastry
Caster sugar - for sprinkling
Preheat oven 180 C [ fan ]
1. Bore hole through unpeeled apples with hole-corer - ensure all core is removed.
2. Fill hole with a mix of sultanas and brown sugar or honey. Pack firmly.
3. Roll suet pastry thinly and cut into circles around a soup plate or similar
4. Dampen edge of pastry and carefully mould around apple, ensuring it is completely encased.
5. Place on lubed baking sheet or on baking papered tray. Cut leaves or a star from surplus pastry, dampen & arrange over top
6. Brush complete apple dumpling with egg/milk wash [ 50/50% ] & sprinkle with caster sugar.
7. Bake centre shelf 20 mins or until pastry is golden and cooked through. Can re-brush with egg/milk and caster sugar half way through baking if desired.
1. Apples may be peeled and brushed with lemon juice to prevent discolouration.
2. Uncooked apple dumplings prepared ready for the oven can be frozen. Cook frozen ones for 40 - 45 minutes