INGREDIENTS: [feeds 2 hungry adults ]
2 tablespoons milk
Sea salt and pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
2 tablespoons freshly grated gruyere or parmesan
1 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon grated cheese for serving
2 rashers bacon [fat trimmed off] chopped
1 thinly sliced tomato.
N.B. The ingredients can be varied to suit individual tastes.
1. Preheat an overhead grill. Separate the egg whites into one bowl and yolks to another.
2. Whisk the yolks with milk, salt, pepper, finely chopped bacon, and most of the cheese and most of the chives. The retained cheese and will be used for topping at a later stage.
3. Beat egg whites with electric beater until soft peaks form.
4. Melt the butter in a medium non stick frying pan, tipping the pan to coat the sides, or wipe pan sides with a clean piece of paper towel dipped in melted butter.
5. Quickly fold - don't beat - the whites into the yolk mixture and pour into the pan.
6. Cook over gentle heat until you can run a spatula around the edge and the bottom is cooked.
7. While the top is still just under-cooked, scatter the retained cheese and chives on top, and if desired place a ring of thinly sliced tomato around the edge of the omelette as a top decoration.
8. Place fry pan under a medium heated grill for 2 or 3 minutes or until puffed and slightly browned and set. The pan may need to be turned.
9. Slide onto a warmed plate and cut into serve sized segments. Scatter with parsley and serve.
Kim likes this.