Low Calorie: Minimex Salad

Discussion in 'Healthy Eating' started by Catalyst, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Catalyst Active Member

Catalyst submitted a new Recipe Book item:

Minimex Salad

Read more about this Recipe Book item...
    JRSofty likes this.
  2. Kim Yummy nom noms

Yummy Yum Yum!!

Must try this, would be gorgeous with some Tex-Mex chicken or pork or other meaty bits!
  3. Catalyst Active Member

It is delicious Kim and behind the deliciousness is, you burn off more calories eating it than you take in! lol And for some reason, even though all the vegies kids loathe are in it, they just love it! ( I do make a chili free version for kids)
  4. Kim Yummy nom noms

I will probably make it next weekend I think!

My kid wouldn't eat it, he is the world's fussiest eater, and won't eat "little" bits of anything, pieces have to be above a certain size before he will consider eating them. Anything pea sized gives him the heebie jeebies! :rolleyes:
    Catalyst likes this.
  5. Catalyst Active Member

I am talking little kids here.. those who will not usually touch onion or capsicum or heaven forbid, broccoli! I tried it out on a friend's son (he's 7) whose veg intake to that point was Macca's or KFC fries. He said he liked it because it was crunchy and he specifically liked the red and green bits. I told him what was in it after he had 4 serves of it...lol and he went the colour of parchment with his jaw near hitting the floor! LOL! Despite that, when they come over he always asks me if I made the "mini" salad. When we know they are coming, rather than a drop in, I usually do and he scoffs it down each and every time. *shrug* I am still at a loss why! lol
  6. JRSofty Active Member

Sounds awesome, my wife and I are always looking for more salad ideas especially in the summer months. About the vinaigrette, is it possible to do without the garlic, or what would be a suitable replacement for garlic? My wife can't stand garlic sadly.
    Catalyst likes this.
  7. Catalyst Active Member

Hi JR,

Garlic is not needed at all. Some fresh lemon thyme is nice in it, as is parsley. It's up to you to make it your own and fit it to your tastebuds. A friend who makes it puts in a little Dijon mustard to add more zing over adding garlic and she does not use chili infused olive oil, but rather extra virgin olive oil.
    JRSofty likes this.