Suet Pastry

Discussion in 'Recipe Discussion' started by Derek Still, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Derek Still Active Member

Derek Still submitted a new Recipe Book item:

Suet Pastry

Read more about this Recipe Book item...
  2. Kim Yummy nom noms

Look at that gorgeous pie! :D Your pastry work has really come on Derek, it looks amazing!!!

Is suet pastry the one on cold pork pies? If so I am not a fan of suet pastry myself, but thank you so much for the recipe Pho, I am sure many will really appreciate it :D
    Derek Still likes this.
  3. Derek Still Active Member

No that's definitely NOT suet pastry on the cold pork pies Kim. They are OK with English hot mustard but I'm not a huge fan either. That is one of those pastries that involves boiling. It's nowhere near as nice as suet pastry and not even slightly similar.

If you haven't tried it, I urge you...PLEASE DO - perhaps on a meat pie - no pastry bottom just a top. Perhaps a small individual sized one for first-ups just as a try out?

It's a bit out of fashion nowadays but was used back in my grandmother's time quite commonly. This pastry is used for both sweet and savoury roly-polys, boiled and steamed puddings and dumplings, it's a very versatile pastry . I see that Jamie Oliver and Delia Smith use it in some of their recipes on the web. It makes a wonderful change from puff on a pie and is far far simpler and less time consuming to make. Seriously Kim, if you've never tried it you really ought to I think you'd love it on a nice juicy meat pie. You will never confuse it with pork pie boiled pastry again! lol
    Kim likes this.
  4. Kim Yummy nom noms

Thanks for the explanation Pho, I will have to give it a go next time I am making a beef pie!
    Derek Still likes this.
  5. Derek Still Active Member

If you do Kim please let me know how it turns out and if you like it.
  6. Derek Still Active Member

Derek Still updated Suet Pastry

View updates to this Recipe Book item...
    Kim likes this.