Recipe: Scotch Eggs

Discussion in 'Recipe Discussion' started by Derek Still, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Derek Still Active Member

Derek Still submitted a new Recipe Book item:

Scotch Eggs

Read more about this Recipe Book item...
    Kim likes this.
  2. Kim Yummy nom noms

Yum! I love these :D

Thank you for the recipe Pho!
    Derek Still likes this.
  3. Catalyst Active Member

I have never eaten a Scotch Egg in my life, nor ever attempted to make one. I will try this recipe out and see how it goes.

Phocaena, do the pork sausages have to be plain, or could flavoured sausage meat be used? I realise you stipulated "favourite", however having never tasted them or made them before, I would like to try and get the traditional effect.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience.
  4. Derek Still Active Member

It's very much a personal taste thing Tracey. Any sausages that you like the flavour of - beef, pork or plain old sausage meat from the supermarket with your own choice of herbs added will be fine. I personally prefer pork with sage and parsley, but I think traditionally beef herby snags would be more likely to be used.

One normal shop bought sausage cut open will yield about the right amount of meat for one egg, so a pack of half a dozen snags may be more economical than a larger pack of sausage meat. Unless you have some puff pastry handy of course and fancy some sausage rolls as well. It's my opinion that you can overdo the amount of meat surrounding the hard boiled egg.
  5. Catalyst Active Member

As I have never eaten one before, I don't know what the personal taste would entail. As such, I ask as I make my own pork snags with apple, sage and fennel and fear that those flavours may take away from the intended palate profile of the "Scotch Egg", meaning, I don't know if those flavours would work with hard boiled egg? As such, as a try out, would it be best to go with just a plain snag to get the idea and work from there?
  6. Derek Still Active Member

In that case I think plain snag would be fine, but I DO like a few added herbs if only some parsley
  7. Catalyst Active Member

Thank you Phocaena. I just want to give them a decent go as a first try. :)
  8. Kim Yummy nom noms

I'd say plain snags too Tracey, for the 'traditional' flavour profile.

Your home made pork apple sage and Fennel ones sound yummy though.
    Derek Still likes this.
  9. Derek Still Active Member

I agree Kim, they sound super yummy. Apple and pork is one of those never fail combos isn't it, like strawberries and cream, or lamb and mint sauce. I reckon we should bung in a request for Tracey's recipe - what dýa think?
    Kim likes this.
  10. Kim Yummy nom noms

Sounds like a plan to me Pho!!! So Tracey, about those snorkers..... :p
  11. Catalyst Active Member

Happy to share it with YUMforum!:) It is my dad's recipe and have a heap of others too that I have made over the years. There is a really nice Chicken and Sage one too I would be happy to pop up as well as an AMAZING Lamb, garlic and tarragon snag. Don't know how any would work with the Scotch Egg, but more than willing to share on this forum, Kim.:) Will do it on the weekend, so get ready for a sausage fest!:D
    Kim likes this.
  12. Kim Yummy nom noms

Always ready for a sausage fest!!! :D hehehe

They all sound wonderful Tracey, can't wait to try them out, we saw a cool looking sausage stuffer attachment for the meat grinder - so will have to get that and find out where to get the casings etc.
    Derek Still and Catalyst like this.
  13. Catalyst Active Member

You can, if requested a couple of days in advance, usually get casings from any good butcher. If I know in advance (would have to be a week though) I could always get you some casings from Bush's located in Sydney and have them shipped to you. ;) They would only send you casings from that delivery day though...lol...they would not be a week old, just sitting there..lol
  14. Kylie1969 Active Member

We have never tried Scotch Eggs, so will have to give this one a go :)
    Derek Still likes this.
  15. Catalyst Active Member

Have not had time up my sleeve to write the recipes out as yet (busy time up here right now) but as soon as I do, I am happy to share them at YUM! :)