Discuss: How often do you sharpen your knives?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Equipment and Tools' started by Forsaken, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Forsaken Active Member

Was going through my knives, and packing up the things that I don't use very often so that I can start getting things moved to the new house (I have about 3 sets of knives).

I'm actually pretty bad at keeping them sharpened, and I rarely hone them myself. You'd think I'd be better at it, seeing as my dad makes knives and offers a knife sharpening service :oops:.
  2. Catalyst Active Member

For carving and also jointing meat, I usually get the steel out and sharpen them before using them. As I grew up a Butcher's daughter, it was just "the norm" for me to do it as he just did it each and every time.

That said, I don't think there is any set rule. Probably depending on the quality of the knives every six months or so? A lot of my other knives are ceramic so they don't need sharpening at all.:)
  3. Kim Yummy nom noms

LOL, I know what you mean, I had to get one of the guys at work to sharpen my knife yesterday!!! He is really good at it, and I am really bad at it :p

I've known the theory of it for years but just can't seem to manage to execute a successful sharpen, I think I just can't keep at the correct angle!
  4. Forsaken Active Member

Given how accident prone I tend to be with knives and sharp objects, I usually avoid doing my own sharpening. My dad can also do all of my knives in less than 5 minutes as well, so just a matter of taking them to him to get done.

Most of my knives are very good stainless, or damascus. I haven't found a set of ceramic knives that I like much, but when I go to Japan I'll probably shop around a bit.
  5. Catalyst Active Member

Foresaken,

The Kyocera ceramic knives are good and you may be able to get them at a better price in JP. The thing is, I admit I am scared to use them sometimes as they were so pricey! I have a couple of Crofton ones I got for a song though that I use on a daily basis and they have never failed me with paring and what not.;)
  6. Forsaken Active Member

The Kyocera Revolution is suppose to be one of the better knives, but it chipped in a month when my stepdad used it.

Heres the site I checked, and it seems pretty detailed and thorough in regards to testing, and research.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/290/Ceramic-Chefs-Knives-Rated
  7. Catalyst Active Member

Yes it does have great reviews there and it's a shame that it chipped for your stepdad. One of mine fell to the kitchen floor after a good 12 months of solid use and just shattered into pieces, hence my reluctance to use the other now! lol

The pricing on that site though.. wow... I paid $142. for one of mine and $117 the other back in 2010!:eek:

The Crofton ones though.. $14.99! lol As you can appreciate I am not so precious about them!:D They cut beautifully too!
  8. Forsaken Active Member

You guys get screwed on prices there, thats why :p.

On Amazon the white set (includes a paring knife) is only $54-55.
  9. Catalyst Active Member

Yes, things at places like King of Knives, where I bought them, are mighty exxy!